In this class you will develop artistic sensibilities through two avenues: experience (drawing) and understanding (learning art history and styles.) We meet four times a week. We will spend two-thirds of our time on drawing and one-third on art history/appreciation. Drawing requires right-brain thinking. Most academic classes put demands on left-brain thinking. This makes art a relaxing change-of-pace for most students.
What are some of the things I will learn?
- Right-brained art exercises and perspective
- Rendering and Shading Techniques
- Landscape drawing
- Drawing “light” and “translucent” objects (such as glass)
- Drawing people and animals
- Art periods from pre-history through the twentieth century
- The works of great artists and how to evaluate them